Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cincinnati Chili

This is one of my families all time favorites. Before we were married, my husband served a mission for our church in Kentucky, and upon his return begged me to make this dish. He said it was to be served over spaghetti noodles, and it had Cinnamon in it. I was very skeptical, but searched for a recipe. I have since tweaked the recipe to make it my own, and now to the blog.

Ingredients needed:


  • 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
  • 3 T Chili powder
  • 1 medium onion (or 1T onion flakes)
  • 2 cloves garlic (also sub 1t garlic salt)
  • 2t ground cumin
  • 2 cans condensed tomato soup
  • 1 can kidney beans
  • 1 can petite diced tomato
  • 1 T vinegar
  • 1/4 t cinnamon
Prep time: 2-5 min.
Total cook time: about 25 min

Start out by combining meat, chili powder, garlic, onions, and cumin. Cook until meat is no longer pink.

Once meat is browned add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 15 min., stirring occasionally. (If you like a thicker chili leave the lid off, if you like it more soupy... lid on.)

Now when we first tried this recipe we did server over spaghetti, which was o.k. Since that first time we have been introduced to serving over white rice. Yum! I also like to use Frito's scoops as a spoon. The kids like this also.

Garnish with cheese, and onions if desired. My family is more of a cheese and no onions family.

Review:
Obviously this is a hit with everyone, or I would not make it so often. We have this probably once every other week. It is a very simple fix, and it's fast! Good for left overs too.
With all the canned goods, and dried spices, this would also make a great menu item for food storage. Anyway, thank you Cincinnati for the yummy chili!

No comments:

Post a Comment