Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Curried Quinoa with Avo-Citrus slaw

This is theirs:

I saw this recipe while browsing foodgawker, and really wanted to try it.
Prep time about 20-25 min.
Cook time about 30 min.
This made 10 large wraps (did not get the ex-large wraps)

Ingredients

Curried Quinoa:
1 1/2 Tbsp Muchi Curry
1 Tbsp EVOO
2 tsp sea salt
2 1/3 cups dry, unrinsed quinoa
3 cups water
1/2 cup apple cider or orange juice

fold into cooked quinoa:
1 1/2 cups frozen peas (thawed or warmed)
1/2 cup salted cashews
1/2cup sweet onion, chopped
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1/4 cup tahini (add less for fluffier quinoa)
1/2 cup citrus, peeled/diced
2 Tbsp maple syrup (or agave)
pepper

Avo-Citrus-Tahini Slaw:
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 avocado, diced
1 cup shredded or matchstick carrots
1/2 cup shredded lettuce
2 Tbsp tahini
3 whole wheat XL burrito wraps

Directions:

1. Prep your slaw and toss well. Place in fridge to marinate/chill until ready to assemble wraps.


2. Heat your quinoa ingredients on stove in large soup pot. Cook your quinoa First time cooking quinoa?  Follow fluffy quinoa instructions here.


3. Add the toss-in ingredients to the warm quinoa.

On a side note, I have hated onions my whole life.  I've recently started adding them in most recipes...
...not to shabby.  I may have to work on converting my children.


4. Grab your extra large whole wheat wraps and start adding ingredients.

finished product

Reviews:
I would have to give this wrap a 4 out of 5.  I loved all the new flavors, but something about it didn't leave me with that "wow this is the best thing I've ever eaten," feeling.  The quinoa was seasoned beautifully, and the tahini slaw was tangy and nutty at the same time.  I love avocados, and they did not dissapoint, giving the perfect touch! 
The sadest part of this meal was the reaction of my 3 year old.  While gaging on a mouthful of the wrap, he managed to get out this statement: "this is yucky!" The 8 and 6 year old were not pleased either.  My husband ate the wrap, but I think he was starving.  He said he liked it, but I noticed on his second helping he did not add any of the slaw. 
If your looking for a child pleaser, this is not the dish.  (unless your children are used to all of these flavors) If you want a refreshing taste of something new and you have the ingredients on hand, give it a try, I think you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment